Sunday, May 1, 2011

A selection from the forest floor in April.

Here's some things I found.


Claytonia virginica


Spring beauty (that's its common name, not me trying to write cute). Once again, I seem to favor the buds over the flowers.


A hole.
There were a whole bunch of these right next to the trail in one area. The hole was about the diameter of a pencil. If I had to guess, like, if someone was holding a gun to my head and screaming at me to tell them what I thought made that hole, I'd say, "Worm?" But there's some bees and wasps that do pretty interesting things in the ground. I don't know what made that hole.

Based on those little pellets of soil being there, it's something making a tunnel into the ground, not something emerging from the ground after pupating or whatever.


Viola pubescens var leiocarpa, maybe.
I like violets.


Urnula craterium
A nice devil's urn, showing the scaly outer texture and fancy edges they get when they get older. Word on the street says that when these are out, conditions are right for morels, too.

I hope you like them, because I sure do, so you're going to be seeing a lot more of them.


Erythronium albidum (pretty sure it's not the yellow kind)
 An elegant White Trout Lily bud and its two leaves.

Coming soon: sprouting acorns and a mushroom movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment