Friday, June 11, 2010

Slime mold day!


Raspberry slime mold, originally uploaded by Mycologista.

While marching to where I thought might be a likely spot to find Black Trumpets (no, I didn't find any, because they are invisible), I found many fascinating and beautiful little slime molds.  These are all quite small (in the grand scheme of things)--the Hemitrichia clavata is little 2mm balls on a stalk. The Chocolate Tube slime is about 1/2" tall.

Hemitrichia clavata







OZONIUM of Coprinellus domesticus
"Carnival Candy Slime," Arcyria denudata
"Chocolate Tube Slime," Stemonitis splendens
                                                                
a bunch of Chocolate Tube Slime on a log
                                    
More on "ozonium" here. Couldn't find much more about it after a cursory online search.

4 comments:

  1. wow those are fascinating photos. I know nothing about fungi. Welcome to NBN :) Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know next to nothing, only maybe a little something. I find, I document, I learn.
    What's "NBN"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah so these are the slime mold I have heard so much about. I finally got to check your your site

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know what they were, either, until I started finding them and looking them up--I though slime molds were just boring patches of wet ick!

    ReplyDelete