Wednesday, September 29, 2010

More mushrooms, Sept. 25 foray assortment

Hygrocybe conica
Hygrocybe sp.
A Waxy Cap. This one is unusually pristine, as they are often wet and a little slimy so they almost always have stuff stuck to them.

DSC06098

I don’t know what this is, but I know what I like, and I like this.

Whatever this mushroom is, it’s about 5-6” across, and has beautiful ruffles and scallops. It looks like suede, draped over something rounded. Now I'm kicking myself for not examining it even more closely. What were the gills like? What about the view from below?

I have to admit that I often get so enchanted with the shapes and colors that I lose interest in finding out what they are. I probably shouldn’t say that out loud.
*Edit: I hardly ever do that anymore so I don't have to kick myself later.

DSC06122
Laccaria amethystina
This luscious purple mushroom is not very common around here. Too bad.


DSC06153
A young puffball, Lycoperdon echinatum. Before I knew about these I had assumed they were L. perlatum, but the whole surface is covered with short hairs, not organized little knobs like L. perlatum.

DSC06160

No comments:

Post a Comment